Monday, April 16, 2012

My life as a Doctor

Even with my qualifications ad doing extremely well on my exam, it was very hard to get a job in my field.  I could not take up a medical post in any hospital. I decided to open up my own practice the same year I got my license. My first building was 20 Upper Berkeley Street, London. I did not have many patients at first, but business gradually grew. After about six months, I wanted to open an outpatients dispensary, to enable poor women to obtain medical help. In 1865, there was an outbreak of cholera in Britain. I opened St . Mary's Dispensary for Women and Children. In the first year, I tended to 3,000 new patients.
University of Sorbonne, Paris was in favor of admitting women as medical students. I decided to study French and obtain my medical degree. In 1870, I became the first women in Britain to be appointed to a medical post, which was in the East London Hospital for Children. Three years later I resigned from my post because of my two existing buildings and my role as a new mother already consumed enough time. I co-founded London School of Medicine for Women with Sophie Jex-Blake. I worked there and was the dean there for the rest of my career.

No comments:

Post a Comment